PREPARATION : THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SESSION
EXFOLIATE Before Each Session to Remove Dry, Flaky Skin.
Skin replaces itself in cycles naturally every 28 days. Twenty-five percent of skin is exfoliated each week, causing a UV-tan to slowly wear away. Sunless spray tans affect only the top twenty five percent of skin, so you will want to remove this extra skin prior to tanning. Spraying sunless products on dry flaky skin causes the tan to look less natural, uneven when fading and will shorten the life of your sunless tan. NOTE: Avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products or in-shower moisturizers. These products can halt the DHA bronzing reaction or cause the dreaded “orange effect”. Any waxing should be done no less than 2 days prior to your tanning session. Also, elevated body temperature, perspiration or moisture on the skin can hinder DHA development and results.
PREPARATION : THE DAY OF YOUR SESSION
WEAR Dark, Loose Fitting CLothing and remove any jewelry. Tight clothes can run off or smear the bronzers.
Here they are, our absolutely top 10 tips to ensure your tan is perfectly gorgeous for as long as possible….
1. If you’re a tanning junkie, make sure you exfoliate regularly to avoid build up as several layers of tan can result in an uneven result.
2. If you’re waxing or shaving before tanning, make sure you do so more than 24 hours before your tan.
3. When you’re tanning give yourself a good all-over polish and apply plenty of moisturizer the night before to get your skin as silky as possible. The most common cause of a patchy tan is dry skin, so it’s crucial to moisturize problem areas (wrists and hands, elbows, knees, ankles and feet) immediately prior to self tan application.
4. Keep palms tan-free – try using latex gloves or our applicator mitt when applying, then simply sweep the backs of the hands with self tan diluted with moisturizer. Our Tan Remover– which you can use for up to four hours after tanning – removes any unwanted tan.
5. When you’re applying your tan, make sure you’re covered all over. Don’t worry if you go over the same area twice – the tan will only be patchy if you miss a bit, not if you double up.
6. Make sure you don’t rub in your gradual or self tan. Gentle smoothing is all you need, then you can let the product do its work. Rubbing may make the finish uneven.
7. Try to avoid washing your hands for as long as possible in the development time – a minimum of 2 hours. Try a hand sanitizer or wipes instead.
8. Your tan won’t get deeper the longer you leave it – once it’s been on for the required amount of time (check the pack) it will have given you the natural-looking golden color you’re after. For a deeper tan you should re-apply on successive days – 2 – 3 days in a row will give you a really deep, rich bronze tan.
9. When you’ve applied your tan wear loose, dark clothing and avoid tight-fitting underwear. Anything that’s pressing on the skin may make the results a bit patchy.
10. The hands and face will fade quicker than the rest of the body so apply Rapide Face to the face and the backs of the hands to keep your tan looking fresher for longer. For a color boost for the rest of the body, try using tan extending lotion every 2-3 days – but don’t forget to polish and moisturize, too, or your color won’t fade evenly.
After Your Session
Avoid activities that may cause you to sweat excessively and possibly cause streaking of the cosmetic bronzer.Use the air conditioner in your car on a hot day. Remember: you have just been tinted with a water soluble solution.
You must avoid water entirely for at least 4 hours or you will stop the tanning action of the DHA and/or cause streaking. Avoid chemically treated swimming pools and spas for at least 24-hours after your spray tanning session to prevent color from prematurely fading.
After your tanning session, avoid using bar soaps or high pH products – they will strip and fade your tan rapidly. After bathing, gently “pat dry” your skin.